Friday 17 June 2016

Farm 1208

As the days are getting steadily colder I’ve had a lucky break. One of the farmers I’ve been working for has had to go to Sydney for a few weeks for heart surgery. And while he and his wife are away, they have entrusted me with their farm. So I, and another guy, get to live in their big cosy farmhouse in exchange for feeding and caring for their animals. After spending 2 months at the Fruitshack, it’s like heaven!


I have actual walls, a real bed, a proper kitchen and bathroom, and to top it all off, I have heating!!!!!! And a car. Yes my friends, I’ve gone from Citroen C1 back at home, to Chevy Truck in the States and now I have a Mazda. It’s not a bad progression really…


The house is very beautiful, set in a lot of land mostly comprised of grape vines and orange trees and the most gorgeous tree lined garden I’ve ever seen. We even have our own reservoir!




There’s a treadmill in the ‘back room’ where we spend most of our time. The big windows look out on the garden so we can see the frost in the mornings!


Our duty here is pretty simple. We look after the animals;

Meet Floyd



 Montese

 Foxy
                                            (the cat not the boy)

Liliana



 And 7 chickens who are very young and just starting to lay eggs. That’s another duty - feed the chickens and eat their eggs.



It's a great little life. We get to shelter from the weather and properly relax while the rain pelts down and work is slow. A bit of r and r is much needed, and appreciated. And the best part is that we've just got word that John's surgery wasn't as big as expected and he's doing great. =]  




No comments:

Post a Comment