Thursday 22 September 2016

Back to Byron

Get a cuppa, sit down, get comfy and take a deep breath - this is a long one! 


It's been a long time since I wrote, as my life's been flipped, turned upside down. The last few weeks have been amazing. I left the Fruitshack and headed to Sydney, where I caught up with the beautiful David. Seeing him again made me realise how much I had missed him. I met him in Kings Cross where he’s living, mostly so I could get one of the amazing curry wraps we had on Christmas Day. He’s working at the Opera Bar so we walked through the botanical gardens to get there just in time for the sunset.


Spending just a few days in Sydney rekindled my love for it. When I lived there for 4 months, the spark died and all I noticed were the stressed people and the busy streets and expensive shops. After initially freaking out at the sheer number of people (I'd been living on a farm with max. population around 15 remember), I started noticing all the quirky alleys, interesting street art, music and greenery.


And then I finally travelled onwards to Byron Bay where my gorgeous Sebastian was waiting for me in his new beast, the Nissan Pathfinder that we will be road tripping in soon. He took me back to the farm he his working on, and though I didn’t see anything other than a possum that night, the next morning I awoke to discover I was in paradise.

Greg’s farm is stunning. It’s set at the top of a hill about 20km inland, with a view over the valleys below that reaches almost to the coast. His house is surrounded by wonderful smelling jasmine trees, thyme, hibiscus and palm trees, and there’s even a bamboo forest down the hill. 


He mostly grows custard apples, the weirdest looking fruit I ever saw, as well as lemons, a few oranges and pumpkins, and there’s a well stocked vegetable and herb garden (which only occasionally houses snakes…!). He has a little stall on the road where he leaves his offerings and people pay into a little honesty box.



Max and Sebbe took me to the stunning Minyon Falls.


And a few days later, Greg took us all to Mt Warning, the remnants of a volcano that erupted 50,000 years ago. The walk up was through breathtaking rainforest – and Greg put up a fast pace making it even more breathtaking! The top 200m or so was a steep climb with the aid of a steel chain. And the view from the top was absolutely incredible. As well as the view underneath the platform that surrounded the peak – a little bandicoot snuffling around.







But the most amazing part of the day was before we even started walking. In the car park I looked up and saw Bri, my gorgeous Australian friend who I worked and lived with in America! Completely by chance. It was unreal. Greg, who’d already started walking towards the mountain thought I’d stood on a snake by how loud we both squealed!! She only lives about an hour north of here so I am going to go and stay with her next week, and I cannot wait!



 I moved into a hostel in Byron Bay and I’m discovering my inner hippie. There’s lots of dreadlocks and baggy pants and yoga. And no one here wears shoes. I’m staying at The Art Factory which is full of creative people. There’s music being played everywhere, guitars, steel drums, and the Didge Pit where you can learn to play and make a didgeridoo. And lots of hulahooping, fire sticks and poi – the swinging balls; it’s incredible what these people can do!! There are teepees, giant gypsy caravan style dorm rooms, tents and my lakeside cottage.



And by 'lakeside' they mean 'swampside'. It has a deck that looks out on the swamp and the jungle behind it, as well as it’s own little kitchen and 5 little bunk beds for 10 of us girls. It’s a lovely quiet area with space to breathe and relax. The patch of grass out the front is where the yoga happens, so I don't have to travel far.








And it’s surrounded by water dragons. There’s maybe 20 or 30 who live around the swamp. They’re not afraid of people and will happily sit next to you and soak in the sun. It’s a bit like having a funky looking cat. I’m really enjoying just sitting with a cup of tea and my book on the deck, slowing down after a long 4 months on the farm.







I’m doing yoga every day and taking some me time to just sit on the beach or falaffal around and do whatever takes my fancy– after all I am on vacation! Some days are beautiful and sunny and warm; perfect beach and exploring days. Others are much cooler and grey and drizzly; perfect for curling up with my book and a cup of tea. Unfortunately the surf has not been very good the last few days, so I’ve not been in the water yet, but I’m gunning for a good, warm day soon so I can get back into the waves.


I’ve climbed up to the lighthouse a couple of times, it’s got the most amazing view of the bay, the whales passing by and the sunset. It's almost unreal how you can look out at  200degrees+ of horizon!






Sometimes Seb, and maybe Max, will take a day off and we’ll go and explore the local area. We found Lake Ainsworth again, the tea tree lake that mom and I discovered on our road trip.



On a drive up the coast Seb and I stopped at a lookout and spent the day watching the whales pass by on their migration back south with their calves. They were maybe 3-400m away, except one who came maybe 100m from the cliff where we sat. It was unbelievable. They are so big! When they rise out of the water to breach and smash back down the splash goes so high!! That’s how you spot where they are and then you see the enormous grey body underneath.





And then we found Café Sebastian, so obviously we had to stop there for coffee (and by ‘coffee’ I mean ‘chai lattes’ – well Seb had a ‘chai dirty latte’ chai tea AND coffee).



Max leaves the farm in a few days; his regional days will be complete and he’s ready for a bit of an adventure. Seb still has a month or more to do, so I am really hoping that I can take his place on Greg’s farm. He’s a bit sceptical about having a couple there, but Seb is attempting to talk him around. If not, I will go and stay with Bri and make a new plan. So I’m a little bit in limbo, but it’s a good place to limbo in.  



No comments:

Post a Comment