Wednesday 16 September 2020

Call Me Aragorn

 I've recently decided it's about time to grow up, get a real job and put down some roots. I know, it's shocked me too. But as much fun as I've had being a nomad and disappearing off wherever the wind blows, it's a very solitary life. And one that means you end up being a jack of all trades, master of none.

So onto the question I've been asking since I was old enough to know I could ask questions - What Do I Want To Do? And the only answer I have is BE OUTSIDE. So I've gone and got myself an apprenticeship as a Countryside Ranger. 

What's a ranger when it's not in Middle Earth I hear you cry. Putting it simply, rangers are the people who look after the crisscross of rites of way around the country. They also maintain nature reserves and Sites of Special Scientific Interest. They cut back footpaths and bridleways, mend bridges and stiles, put in sign posts and direction markers, cut down dangerous trees and invasive species, protect the biodiversity of the land and a million things in between. Sounds good 'ey? I think so. 

I've just survived my first week based out of Dorchester in Dorset. My team covers West and Central Dorset which is a massive patch of land. During the summer we mostly respond to comments from the public about things they see on their hikes or rides; 'there's a bridge that's rotting through on this footpath,' 'this bridleway is overgrown,' 'that stile has fallen down,'. But in the winter when the birds aren't roosting in the trees and hedgerows we can really get to work.

Week 1 was amazing. Me and the other apprentices were working with higher levelled apprentices and rangers on their usual day to day tasks. Tuesday I fixed a bridge, Friday made a stile. It's very hands on and learn-by-doing which is perfect for me. There's lots of finding beautiful places and walking down trails to find the problems. Often we'll be able to do an easy fix there and then by pulling rotten planks out and replacing them but sometimes there's not a lot we can do straight away. We might need more people, more tools, or maybe we need to replace the bridge instead of repairing it. You never know what you're going to find.

It's not all easy jobs and walks in the sunshine though. When there's tasks you can get down to it is HARD WORK. I spent all day Thursday using hedge cutters to cut back an overgrown bridleway and those things are heavy after a few minutes! By your lunch break your biceps are trembling and your arms are shaking so much from the vibrations that you can't take a drink without spilling it all down yourself. But it's a good feeling, eating your sandwiches surrounded by greenery and the sound of bugs and birds. When you cut hedges as soon as you turn off the tools and quiet descends all of the critters poke their heads out to see what was going on and what insects you've pulled to the surface. There were frogs lizards, shrews and mice pattering around. It doesn't get much better than that. Even if my arms are still aching three days later!


The rangers know so much and I'm so excited to learn from them. There's so much to experience, to have a go at and so many places to explore. Everyone seems to have a particular speciality too, some of the guys are into birds, some of them know everything about trees or wildlife. I'd love to be able to identify trees and wildflowers. Birds too - though my hearing is shocking which doesn't help with hearing calls... 

I'm just inspired. I feel like I've found my niche after all this time. I've loved going to work everyday, I've had fun doing my job and I can't wait for what comes next. 

Thought you'd like to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment